Thursday, August 13, 2009

Theological observation from a 4 year old

When the boys are riled up at bedtime, trying to pile on daddy or running around their room, I often sing a little song to calm them down for family prayer time. The song I sing is "Be Careful Little Eyes What You See" and since I sing it from memory of my own Sunday School days, I'm sure my lyrics are slightly off. However, I sing it as:

Be careful little eyes what you see
Be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above is watching us with love
Be careful little eyes what you see

Then I sing through "Be careful little ears what you hear" and "Be careful little mouth what you say." By the time I finish those three verses the kids are settled down.

Last night, Sam picked up my song as soon as I finished, and this is his new and improved verse:

Be careful little nose what you smell
Be careful little nose what you smell
For the Father up above is smelling us with love
Be careful little nose what you smell

We were shaking with suppressed laughter. Well, it could be true. And I'm sure that if God is smelling us, He is doing it lovingly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is laugh out loud funny!