Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Where's the snooze button?

Two recent conversations that demonstrate why I don't need an alarm clock:
Daniel: “Mommy?”
Mommy, with eyes still shut: “Daniel.”
Daniel: “Mommy?”
Mommy: “Daniel.”
Daniel: “Mommy?”
Mommy: “Daniel.”
Daniel: “Mommy?”
Mommy: “Daniel.”
Daniel: “Mommy?”
Mommy: “Daniel.”
Daniel: “Mommy?”
Mommy says nothing, hoping this will break the cycle. It works for 10 seconds.
Daniel: “Mommy?”
Mommy: “Daniel.”
Daniel: “Mommy?”
Mommy: “Daniel.”
Daniel, with a giant grin: “Good morning Mommy.”
Mommy: “Good morning Daniel.”

Another day (I know it sounds whiny, but I swear it was done so matter-of-factly):
Sam: “Mommy?”
Mommy: Mzkrmkm
Sam: “Mommy, it’s daytime out. I want you to get me breakfast.”
Mommy: “I’m asleep.”
Sam: “But I want you to get me breakfast.”
Mommy: “I just want to sleep a few more minutes.”
Sam: “I want you to get me Cheerios with yogurt.”
Mommy: “It’s not time for me to get up yet.”
Sam: "With blueberries and a little bit of milk.”
Heard from downstairs:
Daddy: “Where’s Sam?”
Daniel, yelling: “Sham! Sham! It’s time to eat!”
Mommy: “See, Daddy hasn’t left for work yet. He can get you breakfast.”
Sam: “No Mommy, I want you to get me breakfast.”
Mommy: “I love you buddy, but I had to work last night and I’m not ready to get up yet.”
Sam: “OK.”
Two minutes go by.
Sam: “But it’s daytime out.”

I'm learning--slowly, but I'm learning--that I might as well give in sooner because I will always end up giving in later.

No comments: